Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Ask SD Tracy Harper #8

Ask SD Tracy Harper #8
All questions are anonymous. If you know who is asking the question and wish to leave a comment, please respect their rights to remain anonymous.


Q:  SD, I would like to write a book.  How do I get started?

A: In my opinion and this is only my opinion, if you like reading and it takes your thoughts away from your day-to-day life, then you already have. A story begins in the mine (between the ears) long before it appears in front of you on paper. Sometimes these thoughts aren’t in proper order (absolutely never is), and may be frustrating at times (absolutely always is), but they will come when you least expect it (sadly). The easiest way is to start with short stories (and size doesn’t matter). I say this because some short stories turn into books that turns into a series. It may be hard to start, but it’s even harder to stop. I hope this helps. SD

Q:  SD, Why is writing dialogue so hard?

A:  It’s hard because you are actually holding a one sided conversation with yourself.  It takes quite a bit of practice and some serious experimentation to work around playing both sides of a conversation with yourself. The fun happens when you have multiple people slugging it out (verbally, of course).  I had some help with this from a co-worker (when I was in the US Air Force). He told me my story telling was very good, but the dialogue between by two characters sucked. We sat down with a cup of coffee and he had me read the lines of one of my characters and he the other. Yes, I was embarrassed fully. After learning how to play the Pro and Con game and small daily debates, I got much better writing dialogue. How could I not when it sucked. Practice does make perfect, but if you can have someone read one side of a conversation and you the other, you will see the light (and it’s not a train). I hope this helps. SD

Q:  SD, When should I start publicizing my book?

A:   Before it's finished. As long as you have all your support cast in line (draft readers, content readers, editors, cover artist, and media consultant), and most of which can be done by you, you are almost ready. As soon as you have hit all the main points in your manuscript (characters, main story line, and ending), get the copyrights!  But remember (Indi-Author) when you set the date it will be offered for sale, have it done completely two months in advance of the book’s launch. This will allow you time to purchase a few promotional copies as giveaways to those who are more than happy to help you fulfill your dream (Radio, TV, Blog and Web host, and websites dedicated to authors and readers). Just remember, launch dates have a way of sneaking up on you. SD

Would you like to have your question answered by Ask SD? It simple to do.
Leave a comment below or got to the contact page and send an Email of your thoughts directly to SD Tracy Harper.
Don't miss out on the latest news by Subscribing, Following, and Joining me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and this Site directly or sign up through the New Email Notification portal.


SD Tracy Harper Contact Form

Your Name :
Your Email: (required)
Your Message: (required)

0 comments:

Post a Comment