Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Ask SD Tracy Harper #12

Ask SD Tracy Harper #12
All questions are anonymous. If you know who is asking the question and wish to leave a comment, please respect their rights to remain anonymous.



Q:  SD, A close friend of mine and I were reading the same book, but they lost interest in it. I know we like the same kinds of books, but for some reason she didn’t like this one.  I’m confused. It was a really good book.  Can you shed some light?

A:  Either your friend’s taste has changed, you don’t know your friend half as well as you think you know them, or the book started off too slow for them to get into it. The first two… I’ll let you deal with those.  As far as a book having a slow opening, it’s not as rare as you would think. I read somewhere (wish I knew) that if you haven’t captured the reader within the first 40 pages, forget about it! my last bit of useless advice is to let your friend pick out the next book. SD

Q:  SD, I have an idea for a book. Should I copyright the idea or the book when it is finished?

A:  I am not a lawyer (entertainment or otherwise) to give you the answer to that. What I can say is to go to the copyright office (for your country) on the web or give them a call and look for your answer with them.  All I can say (with some surety) is to be wary of any individual or organization who deals with the world of entertainment (books are included) that they will take care of the copyright in your behalf. Read the small print, between the lines, and every word being spoken to you. ALWAYS get a second opinion. Do your research and your due diligence. SD

Q:  SD, What’s the maximum - minimum numbers of characters should be in a story?

A:  You can have as many characters as you want. There is no limit on that, but you should be aware that there is only one spotlight on any given event and can get very confusing and can easily cause your story to lose impact when making your connection from your story to the reader.  As far as the least amount of Characters in your story, I’ve read a well-known book (no names) where there was only a man in a boat by himself and a fish. As you can guess, the fish didn’t have any lines. SD



Would you like to have your question answered by Ask SD? It simple to do.
Leave a comment below or got to the contact page and send an Email of your thoughts directly to SD Tracy Harper.
Don't miss out on the latest news by Subscribing, Following, and Joining me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and this Site directly or sign up through the New Email Notification portal.



SD Tracy Harper Contact Form

Your Name :
Your Email: (required)
Your Message: (required)

0 comments:

Post a Comment