Friday, May 2, 2014

Ask SD Tracy Harper #5

Ask SD Tracy Harper #5
All questions are anonymous. If you know who is asking the question and wish to leave a comment, please respect their rights to remain anonymous.


Q: SD, What advice would you give to someone who wants to write a book? 

A: That question has so many landmines that its… beautiful. I wish there was an answer that wasn’t a question (which would lead to more questions), but I would say to follow your heart. Once your heart is set to go on this wonderful and frustrating journey, and then be ready to open yourself up to everything that will change you to make this dream a reality. Trust me. It is just a dream and will remain a dream until you take action make it real. But most important, action without the dream will soon turn into a nightmare. My last bit of advice is to put everything into it. If not, then don’t, because it will show.

Q: SD, What is the one thing that bothers you about writing?

A: Why, nothing. Oh, there are times when I don’t write and times when I want to write but can’t, but overall it’s a joy to write. But when it comes down to the business of selling your work (and yourself), it can be a pain. Now that’s a subject I may revisit on a Tea & Caffeine. But if I could choose one thing that bothers me about writing I would say… not having more people like you supporting me. [I know. Political answer and I’m sticking with it!]. Actually, not enough time to write when I’m on a roll.

Q: SD, How do you break Writers block?

A: In my April 25, 2014 Friday's Caffeine article “I Have An Idea, Now What?” I wrote the following;
     “There is no such thing as writer’s block if you do one simple thing. Before you start on writing your manuscript, get a shoebox and write on small scraps of paper ideas of things you want to see happen in your story. Whenever you have an idea for the story’s plotline or the character, write yourself a sentence or two that will remind you of what you were thinking at that particular time. Get stuck, reach into the Memorable Bowl (Thanks JK Rowling -Wizard placing his memories in a bowl to look at later when he needs them).”
     But, if you’ve already started and you can’t think of what should happen next, (TRICK) think about what should happen two chapters ahead or what you would like to change in a previous chapter. Knowing where your destination can spark an idea. (Oh, how to get there and looking at the road behind you may open up a possible alternate road you could take). I hope this helps. I’ll revisit this on a future Tea or Caffeine.



Would you like to have your question answered by Ask SD? It simple to do.
Leave a comment below or got to the contact page and send an Email of your thoughts directly to SD Tracy Harper.
Don't miss out on the latest news by Subscribing, Following, and Joining me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and this Site directly or sign up through the New Email Notification.


SD Tracy Harper Contact Form

Your Name :
Your Email: (required)
Your Message: (required)

0 comments:

Post a Comment