Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Ask SD Tracy Harper #4



Ask SD Tracy Harper #4
All questions are anonymous. If you know who is asking the question and wish to leave a comment, please respect their rights to remain anonymous.



Q: SD, I’ve read your first book (Reality’s Exit) and I liked some of the stories more than others. Do you feel that having so many different types of stories in one book may prevent you from gaining a strong following than if you had just put out a book for one particular fan base?

A: I’ve thought long and hard about that and admit I had and still have some fear in my decision. I had a very strong reason to take the road that was best for me. (discussed in more detail in the first Ask SD Tracy Harper Q:1)  With so many different stories being in the same book, I tried my best to stress the rating system and synopsis in the back of the book. I have hope by doing this it would help give some inside as to what story you would enjoy reading at that moment. I also try to keep in mind the fact that if you are always trying to please one group of people, you’re bound to anger another.

Q: SD, Where do your ideas for your stories come from?

A: That’s a good question and I’ll try not to sound as if I need to widen the doors around me to get my head through. I get my ideas from everything. Everything around me, everything I have experienced, everything I see and hear, and dreams (awake, sleep, good, and bad). I get ideas of how I feel or in an effort to change how I feel. I know that’s kind of confusing, but let me try to explain. 

     If I’m in a bad mood , I purposely try to write something upbeat for my characters whose in a crummy mood as I’m currently feeling. For me it works. Actually, (in some cases) I remember a story line that I need to write that the overall mood of the story or the character(s)themselves are having a crummy day or situation or need to be the villain that they need to do all so well. Just think of something (anything) and go with the flow without stopping. You can go back and smooth things out later.

Q: SD, What makes for a good story?

A: If I knew that, I would have an armored truck stopping at my front door every hour on the hour. No one knows what will be the Next Big Thing (yes, even I plug my own stuff).  From what I have read and seen, a good story line is any story that can capture the imagination of many and move them to express some emotion (hopefully a good one).  Even a story that has no way of being anything other than fantasy, can be a good story if its draws a reader into a desire to want more.

     I truly believe if you write from your heart, it will always be a great story.




Would you like to have your question answered by Ask SD? It simple to do.
Leave a comment below or got to the contact page and send an Email of your thoughts directly to SD Tracy Harper.
Don't miss out on the latest news by Subscribing, Following, and Joining me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and this Site directly or sign up through the New Email Notification.


SD Tracy Harper Contact Form

Your Name :
Your Email: (required)
Your Message: (required)

0 comments:

Post a Comment