Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Ask SD Tracy Harper #49

Ask SD Tracy Harper #49
All questions are
anonymous. If you know who is asking the question and wish to leave a comment, please respect their rights to remain anonymous.

Q:  SD, I wanted to write a thriller, but it turned into a comedy. Is there a way I can change it back to a thriller without throwing everything I’ve written out?

A: Some of the best works in every category (other than comedy) has comedic elements in them. Terms like dry humor, sick sense of humor, dark humor, and many more are different ways of just saying something will seem funny to different people. Oh, and sarcasm is also another form of humor. Without reading your manuscript (please do not send it, but I’ve read a few peoples’ sample chapters), review your work and pay close attention to the elements which you want to happen as the thriller you wanted to make first. I’m sure once you take stock of your work, then you can go back and see the comedic aspects and make changes accordingly. I have no idea where you took a left turn, then a right, but something in you made that choice and you should seldom (if ever) contradict your first answer because it is usually correct. I hope this helps. SD

Q:  SD, I have several friends (test readers) who tell me I’m over thinking my work. Am I (more written)?

A:  The work you’re looking for is nitpicking. Here’s the actual problem. The question you need to ask yourself is how much is enough? You can go on forever making small tweaks and adjustment for the rest of your life. I’m one-hundred percent on the side of improving your work, but have to work on my similar problem of good enough. Good enough isn’t a lack of quality, but understanding that perfection isn’t without flaws. Your (as well as my own) will never be perfect because everyone who reads your work will see it different ways and there are people out there who will read your work just to find things that are wrong. As far as I’m concerned, as long as they are willing to take the time out of their busy lives to read my work (even with a microscope) I’m grateful for their attention. I was once told that not everyone can write a story, not that every story has to be perfect. I hope this helps. SD

Q:  SD, Is it better to write a cliffhanger or end a story when there is a sequel?

A: This is an excellent question. My answer is both. And, here comes the WHATs! Just because one story line comes to and end doesn’t mean another one can’t begin. For me (and I do mean for me), I like my work to have a story arc that can stand alone in the manuscript. Oh, I will leave a few breadcrumbs or a question or two, and allude to some question that need to be answered or the name of a person who can answer it, but that’s just me. It is now up to the reader to wish to read the sequel or next installment, but (hopefully) feel a sense of satisfaction when they come to the end of the work they have on hand. Another way of having the best of both worlds is multiple story lines. You can have a story arc end, one with a cliffhanger and one that just disappear and reappear on the first line of the first paragraph of the first chapter of the sequel. This is what I coin as an anger management chapter. You may ask why I might call it this? There are going to be a segment of readers who are going to be pissed because of their personal attachment to this particular story arc and instant satisfaction is like cool water poured over someone who been out in the hot sun. In other words, these people will look at the sample chapter and get captured once again in their imagination (or reestablish ownership of a particular character or storyline). Clearly this isn’t a clearly defined end nor a cliffhanger, but it is a way to give the readers a to want to read the sequel. I hope this helps. SD



SD Tracy Harper Contact Form

Your Name :
Your Email: (required)
Your Message: (required)

0 comments:

Post a Comment