Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Ask SD Tracy Harper #48

Ask SD Tracy Harper #48
All questions are
anonymous. If you know who is asking the question and wish to leave a comment, please respect their rights to remain anonymous.

Q:  SD, What’s more important, storylines or characters development?

A:  Actually, both are just as important and cannot be overlooked. You can have a storyline that can cause anyone to be blissfully lost in your work for several hours, but if the characters lack any quality for the reader to identify or take an interest in, the ending of your marvelous story will never be reached. The opposite is also true. You can have characters that people instantly identify with, instantly support with all their heart, and become instant fan favorites, but if the storyline is lacking, the end will never be read. I would suggest that you concentrate on getting everything you imagine down first (called the first draft or a pile of crap) and then go back and look at each of these areas with these three questions in mind.
     One, what is the purpose of each of my characters and is all of them is truly necessary to tell the story? Two, does this story blow you away that you can’t believe you had actually written something you would enjoy reading. Three, this will never be perfect, but whatever is. Keep in mind stories are meant to be shared, characters are meant to be envied, and authors are meant to be… anxiety ridden. I hope this helps. SD

Q:  SD, I wrote a book that has gained a small following, but it was to be a single novel. I’m being asked for a follow up, but… What do you suggest?

A:  First of all, congratulation on both the publishing of your work and it being enjoyed by many. I have three suggestions. My first suggestion is to relax and enjoy this moment in the spotlight. It is rare for any first time author to receive the smallest amount of success. Oh, there are some who stand out from the rest, but without people who are interested in their works, they stand with all the hopeful storytellers like me. My second suggestion is to listen closely to those who are crying out for more.
     I’ve written articles about writing from your heart verses writing what is popular. This is similar to both and yet neither. Think of it this way. When those who are asking for the next installment, all you have to do is ask them what they didn’t like. Yes, asked them what they didn’t like. It’s akin to having a favorable critic giving you little comments on what you can do to change good to better. Trust me. The conversation on what is wrong will be short because they are going to be chomping at the bits to get to the good stuff. Use that enthusiasm and their hopes to engross themselves into a particular aspect of your upcoming work to spark your creative flow. There may be those who have similar hopes for a particular character or storylines continuing in the sequel, but isn’t that what you were hoping for when you finished your manuscript? Now that you have completely engorge yourself on Ego Food, start writing little notes about possible storylines and characters (returning, departing, and new). Say hello to my little Magic Box.
     Yes! Once again we are back to the good old Magic Box (please see previous Ask SD and Reasons & Reality). To keep this suggestion short, the Magic Box is just a shoebox or small container to place scraps of papers with ideas for your next manuscript. After a set amount of weeks, crack open your Magic Box and get to work enjoying the world and people you had created once again. I hope this help. SD

Q:  SD, I have a test reader who is constantly trying to change the arc of my story and my character’s rolls in my manuscript. Suggestions please.

A: This isn’t an uncommon problem when you ask for people help. Remember, unless you are paying someone to be your test reader, they are doing this from their heart. However, you should not have to be afraid to tell someone they are going over and beyond what you need. Talk with them and make it perfectly clear that you are not looking for a collaborator, but a sounding board. One of the things all readers do is anticipate. Without your readers knowing what is around the corner, they are trying to anticipate what should happen and in most cases it isn’t what will happen. I myself had run into this and it had scared the crap out of me.
      I have this close friend of mine who I respect deeply (and always will) do a bit of editing on a manuscript I was working on and used my sister as a test reader. There was this character (who wasn’t even a secondary character) and something happened to them. Needless to say, both my editor and test reader wanted to beat the crap out of me. How did I know this, they charged at me with bloodlust in their eyes the moment they saw me and explained to me in so many words (quite a few of them actually) how utterly wrong I was to follow a particular story line. I was happy to get the response I was hoping for with that particular event in the storyline, but was terrified of being physically confronted. When they received the next few chapters on the same day as the confrontation, they realized nothing was as they had dreaded. This didn’t stop them from losing their minds when what they had anticipated didn’t materialize, but they kept their emotions somewhat in check until they read what was around the corner. Things worked out for me, especially when I had a heart to heart with my sister so she could understand not everyone has the author who writing what they were reading within arm’s length to bombard them with questions hourly. Yes, she has my cell phone number. Unfortunately, I must add this suggestion as well.
     If your reader continues trying to take over your manuscript, thank them for all their help, and promise to send them a copy of your book once it is published. In other words, their help isn’t helping. I hope this helps. SD 



SD Tracy Harper Contact Form

Your Name :
Your Email: (required)
Your Message: (required)

0 comments:

Post a Comment