Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Ask SD Tracy Harper #46

Ask SD Tracy Harper #46
All questions are
anonymous. If you know who is asking the question and wish to leave a comment, please respect their rights to remain anonymous.

Q:  SD, What is the hardest thing for you to write about?

A: There are many things that are difficult for me to write about. Mostly they are people or events that hit a little too close to home. However, for the most part, the hardest thing for me to write about are smells. Oh, this may not seem much if you are only looking at the surface, but sit down and try to describe how something or someplace smell then transfer that interpretation into words that most people can understand and experience through your words. Think about it. If a reader never been in a stable or cow pasture, how would you describe the smells in such a way that it brings to life what you’ve experienced to someone who never had or never will experience the same thing. Unlike emotions, touch, or taste, smells (for me) is a difficult hill to climb. I hope this helps. SD

Q:  SD, Have you ever written a story with one ending in mind, but end up with another?

A:  Yes, and in most cases the new ending are better than what I had originally thought. If this (happy mistake) has happened to you, then you may already know the reason why this had occurred. Your overall storyline had become clear, your characters are more than the individual sum of the notes you had originally scribbled down on a piece of paper (old school), and your new ending takes into account the elevation of your work from a draft to a manuscript. I hope this helps. SD

Q:  SD, What is the shortest amount of time it had taken you to write a book?

A: I would say a month, and that is without making corrections. For me, a book is complete when it is what’s called your first mistake or draft. It is the foundation of your imagination and is brought to life as a full thought. It is far from being called complete, but all elements are there. The characters, the environment, the storyline, and the ending is laid out like a roadmap and all that is left is to enjoy the journey. I call my draft my first mistake because I know when I return to my work in a weeks’ time there’re going to be gaping holes in numerous areas I had envisioned I had written down but had not. Oh, the storyline is there and for the most part most of the characters are as well, but nothing is smooth where it should be and abrupt emotional highs and lows just aren’t sharp enough. I know this may not be the answer you were looking for, but this is my answer. Manuscripts take time, effort, and patience, but most of all it all depends on the author’s willingness to let go of what they had written for public praise and critics ridicule. I hope this helps. SD



SD Tracy Harper Contact Form

Your Name :
Your Email: (required)
Your Message: (required)

0 comments:

Post a Comment