Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Ask SD Tracy Harper #45

Ask SD Tracy Harper #45
All questions are anonymous. If you know who is asking the question and wish to leave a comment, please respect their rights to remain anonymous.

Q:  SD, Somehow I keep writing the same story, but in different ways. How do I stop?

A:  I don’t think that you can, and why should you? If you think about it, most stories are broken down into three scenes. There is the introduction, the transition, and the conclusion. Love stories are based on someone’s desire for someone else and (like the old saying goes) it isn’t funny until someone gets hurt. When it goes off course in one direction it’s considered a drama and in the other direction a comedy. A basic love, hate, combative triangle will always exist. A rose of any other name stills smells, however, the same situation viewed by two different sets of eyes sees two different things. I’ve been where you are and only through your willingness to fully explore all avenues of this particular story or line of thought will you ever have thoughts of trying something truly different.  You might also try listening to music you’ve never heard before or see a movie outside what is your norm. And, of course, finally read that book of poetry you got as a birthday present that’s been sitting on your bookshelf you’ve been using to prop your autograph Major League baseball you picked up in a garage sale. I hope this helps. SD

Q:  SD, I recently finished my first novel and it's only taken me years! Do you have any suggestion that will help me to let others read my manuscript without falling apart?

A: Your anxiety isn’t something that only you suffer from. Many authors (myself included) have strong feelings that their work will not be well receipted or believe they have thick enough skin to take criticism. Well, I’m here to tell yah. You have three choices and none of them are perfect. Your first choice is to ask a family member to read it for you. I would suggest you only give them a set amount of chapters each time. Trust me, they will have more questions and request, then you can imagine. At least, you can control your environment and lessen the embarrassment that will never come. The next choice is to hire an editor/reviewer. What makes this choice valuable is in the fact that the person you hire job is to improve on your book and will give you insight that will help you on future projects. This one is a win-win if you find the right editor for you.  Your third and final choice is to join a writer’s group where you live or online. Not only will you receive constructive criticism, you will also build up your confidence knowing and working with other authors just like you. Hey, you are looking for encouragement, to help you take the next step and reduce your fears that you hadn’t missed any of the previous steps. I hope this helps. SD

Q:  SD, I made a big mistake in a story I was writing. Halfway through I had gotten the two main characters’ names mixed up and the good guy turned into the bag guy and the bad girl became good. Any suggestion what would be the easiest way to change this? It would be easier if both were men or women.

A: Don’t change a thing. If you have ever seen the movie or play name Grease, you’ll know what I mean. Girls have been trying to change a bad boy for years and there are very few boys who don’t like a bad girl. What I suggest you do is check where the personality change over occurred and make the transition as smooth as possible. Moreover, when you find where the change had occurred, work backwards and leave little Easter Eggs giving hint on what’s to follow. In other words, give the readers a few places they can say; I Told You So. I hope this helps. SD



SD Tracy Harper Contact Form

Your Name :
Your Email: (required)
Your Message: (required)

0 comments:

Post a Comment