Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Ask SD Tracy Harper #42


Ask SD Tracy Harper #42
All questions are anonymous. If you know who is asking the question and wish to leave a comment, please respect their rights to remain anonymous.

Q:  SD, is it true that after you finish a manuscript you should put it away for a while so you can look at it from a new perspective?

A: It is true that after you write something and put it aside, then come back to it after a few days that you will see your work differently. I don’t know if you need to finish the complete book before you do this or after each chapter. It all depends on you and how you write. If you are the kind of person who writes through emotions or when you have an idea flow directly from you. these should be the deciding factor for you. You never want to disrupt the flow of your writing because ideas are hard to continue or recreate after there is a break in the flow of your work. The reason why putting away your work for a few days gives you a different perspective is because you are now a different person then you were when you put your work away. The change may or may not be significant, but there is a change. As we experience or learn we have something new to bring to the table we call the creative process. I hope this helps. SD

Q:  SD, Why are metaphors bad to use?

A:  Metaphors aren’t necessarily bad (and I use them myself at times). Where troubles begins are in the indubitable truth that words have more than one meaning and the possibility of the point or clarification you are trying to do with the statement will be misunderstood. That was the CON of using this type of clarification through association, but the upside to using them is they are perfect emotional gateways for readers’ submersion to your story. Take for instance; “What light through yonder window breaks? Is it Juliet or the sun”? In other words, Juliet beauty is so brilliant it blinds me. They do say love is blind, he never saw it coming, and he was blinded from the truth. (Spoiler Alert!) They did die after all. I hope this helps. SD

Q:  SD, How often should you stop to make corrections to a manuscript?

A:  For me (most times) it is when I finish all my thoughts. Now let me make this perfectly clear. There is no standard when this should be done. It is one of those personal opinions. I can say without a doubt, you never stop to make corrections when your story is flowing from you. Starts and stops when you are in the grove will cause your story to flow in the same manner (been there and still working on that bad habit). I recently read a quote from a famous writer (Hemmingway, but I not sure). He said the best description of a first draft is crap. It took me a moment to stop laughing when I realized he was correct in every way possible. Even a diamond is just a rock until it is cut, polished, and put into a place setting. My advice to you is to sit down and write some crap, you can shine that turd once you get to a stopping point. Once you’ve taken your work as far as you can take it, look into hiring an editor (already discussed in previous Ask SD & Reasons & Realities). I hope this helps. SD




SD Tracy Harper Contact Form

Your Name :
Your Email: (required)
Your Message: (required)

0 comments:

Post a Comment