Friday, January 23, 2015

Reasons & Realities 21



Sarcasm is a Wonderful Thing
    Well, it is wonderful and I’m actually not being sarcastic. I guess you could call it the bad boy, bad girl complex.
That little scamp or wily vixen in most stories that add that right amount of spice in the sauce or that anti-hero or persevering woman who is going to break through the glass ceiling no matter how much a bitch the men at the top thing she is. What is the one thing they all have in common you might say? Oh, and I must say that quite a few cartoon character super hero, both men and women, has this one trait that draws us to them. I think that’s enough buildup and the title of this article pretty much sums it up nicely. Every last one of them has a smart mouth. From John McClain (Bruce Willis) to Spider man, just has that right something to say that just piss off the bad guys. But, let’s not leave the ladies out of this mix and genre has absolutely nothing to slow these women down. Let’s look at Carrie Fisher’s Princess Leia to the hottie called the She Hulk. You just got to love a bad girl, even if she’s green. What makes this subject so interesting is that by adding a bit of the bad boy or bad girl, it can change the entire feel of your work and it doesn’t matter what genre you are writing in. Let’s look at what happens when you add a little spice with the addition of an enemy, friend-enemy, and the good character (or the innocent).

Enemy
   When it comes to the enemy, we aren’t talking about the loner with a cause or the anti-hero with a chip on his shoulder. When we talk about the enemy, we are talking about the sick, derange, egomaniac who wish to take over or completely destroy everything around them. Oh, and of course, removing any man, woman, or child that is in his way is just a bonus. Just like the hero who comes in and saves the day in the nick of time, this character also has their fair share of one liners and long dialogue passage professing their heartfelt reason for their actions. And, just like a clown’s face had haunted you in your dreams and cause you to leave a light on, a good humored, snazzy come back, and a good old fashion bit of sarcasm in a villain gives them a well-rounded bit of charisma that slides between the cracks we all leave open for positive or humorous messages. Take this, for instance;
     There was a loud crash and gun fire ripped through the bank. A well-dressed man walks in without a care in the world.
Straight:
     “This is a stickup! I want everyone hands in the air,” he said, evenly and very calm. “Just to make I have everyone’s undivided attention…” he said, smoothly right before he shoots a sweaty man in workout clothing in his face. “Do I need to have another example?”
Sarcasm:
     “This is a stickup! I want everyone hands in the air,” he said, evenly. “Everyone but you,” he says, clearly agitated towards a sweaty man in workout clothing. “I could smell you the moment I walked in. I know I’m offensive, but you…should know better” he said, hotly and shoots the man in the face. “Can someone open a window please? These good people shouldn’t have to suffer bring robbed of their money and robbed their sense of smell as well. Do I need to…? Who has on too much perfume?”
     Just by adding a bit of sick, twisted humor, you let your guard down and allowed yourself to be pulled in. Oh, but things get a bit more twisted when the enemy is or was your friend.

Friend-Enemy (Frienemy)
     This may be an old saying, but it is worth repeating. Unfortunately, it has been repeated over and over again and in many different forms. What I am saying is the old adage of who needs enemies with friends like you? Yes, I’m talking about the close, best, childhood, grew up together, and are like brothers or sisters, only friend. Who else could get you into more trouble with their upper and lower lips moving then that good old friend whenever they aren’t sleeping? Oh, how everyone just wishes to stand in that long line to wrap their hands around the neck of your bestest best friend, and you have the golden ticket with the number one stamped on it in big letters. Like I had mentioned this formula or the straight man and the smart-alecky has been around for… a long time. Classic duos like Abbot & Costello, Chris Tucker & Jacky Chan, and Sandra Bullock & Melissa McCarthy just to name a few. This doesn’t stop with same sex comedy teams. Look at Hugh Grant & Julia Roberts, Drew Barrymore & Adam Sandler (multiple times), and Ben Browder & Claudia Black (Farscape=John Crichton & Aeryn Sun). 
     There is one thing that I should point out in all these cases. When it comes to sarcasm, female characters behavior of this type seems more acceptable where guys are depicted as antagonistic or combative. But, the one most important thing that marks a friend-enemy is that they truly believe they are helping. Oh, and it’s always embarrassing and happens at that perfect moment to make you wish to look for the nearest method to end yourself or better still end them. I’m talking about situations like this;
     They had finally arrived at the party and the first person they walked into was…Robert McCarthy. The actual Robert McCarthy!
Straight:
     “There he is and he’s alone. Why don’t you go over there and say hello to him?
     “Maybe later. It’s not like he is the only guy here.”
     “Of course he isn’t,” she said, teasingly and waves Robert over. “Rob, how are you?”
     “I’m fine,”
he chokes, noticeably red faced as he kept taking quick glances at her roommate. “I’m glad to see a friendly face. Would you and Rena care for something to drink?”
     “I’m not thirsty, but I can’t answer for Rena,” she giggles and push her friend forward
Sarcasm:
     “There’s your baby’s daddy. Why don’t you go over there and drool where he can see you?
     “Maybe later. It’s not like he is the only guy here.
     “Of course he isn’t,” she said mischievously and waves Robert over. “He’s just the only guy you get out your best push up bra, forget your panties, and empty out your closet as soon as you found out he was going to be at this party!” she said, tightly under her breath and smiled when he arrived. “Rob, how are you doing?”
     “I’m find,” he chokes, noticeably red faced as he kept taking quick glances at her roommate.
     “I’m calling bullshit. I’ve had enough of the two of you always looking at each other from across the room like two preteens at a summer camp’s dance. I’m tired if this and going to get a hat and a jacket and you two should get a clue. Rob, it’s hot in here, but Rena’s boobs think otherwise and your zipper is fighting against your incredible Hulk trying to break free. The two of you don’t need a wakeup call; you need a booty wakeup call. I’m staying with my boyfriend tonight. Ah, Rob, this is the part of the movie when you stick your tongue down Rena’s throat and think about how the two of you can thank me later,” she laughs, rudely and slaps Rena on her butt as she walks away swinging her hips wildly.
     In both cases Rena receives help from her friend, but it is the way that help is given is what makes things… interesting. In both cases of the enemy and friend-enemy the sarcasm is premeditated where this last example is clearly by accident and is accomplished by someone who doesn’t even know they are doing it or is doing it to themselves.

The innocent
     At times when your character(s) find themselves in situations that call for dialogue expressing an emotional response can go one of two ways. They can take a straightforward view of the situation or (like quite a few of us in real life) mask their true feelings with a joke. In most cases, these jokes are in the form of sarcasm.
     You are a teenager sitting in your usual table off by yourself in the cafeteria drinking some milk and the most popular, best looking, and the (did I forget to say she is gorgeous) captain if the cheer squad sits down across from you. Luckily there is no one sitting with you (as usual) as you sprayed the other half of the table.
Straight:
     “Are you alright, Jimmy?” she asked, clearly concerned.
     “I’m fine,” I choked, harshly and even more so when she started patting me on my back. “Did I get any milk on you?”
     “Don’t worry about that. I’m sorry I startled you. Maybe I should’ve asked if you didn’t mind me sitting with you. Are you sure you’re alright?”
     “I’m alright. I’ll go find somewhere else to sit so you can have your lunch.”
     “Why would you do that when I can over here to have lunch with you.”
     “WHAT!” I choked.
     “This seems like the only time I can talk to you and give you an invitation to my birthday party and convince you to come. I knew I couldn’t mail yours out with everyone else.”
     “WHAT!”
Sarcasm:
     “Are you alright, Jimmy?” she asked, clearly concerned.
     “I will be after I move out of town,” I choked, harshly and even more when she started patting me on my back. “I guess I slide down another notch on the popularity poll, but I was already at the bottom so I won’t have far to fall. Did I get you.”
     “Don’t worry about that,” she giggled. “I’m sorry I startled you. Maybe I should’ve asked if you didn’t mind me sitting with you. Are you sure you’re alright?”
     “I’ll be ok after I find somewhere else to sit so you can have your lunch.”
     “Why would you do that when I can over here to have lunch with you.”
     “WHAT!” I choked.
     “This seems like the only time I can talk to you and give you an invitation to my birthday party and convince you to come. I knew I couldn’t mail yours out with everyone else.”
     “And, this is where my dream switches over to where I’m standing in front of the entire school giving the valedictorian speech naked. WHAT!
     There are many uses for sarcasm where it is self-defecating and even more when your character blurt out their thoughts to change the feel of a situation to round off harsh edges and change the pace of any main or sub plot line. Using the frightfully innocent or underdog character is the most difficult one to use because at any given moment or misstep that character can become someone your readers wish to protect or wishing to smack their face to wake them up. in either case, they will have an emotional connection to the character and wish to read what’s going to happen to them next.

      What is the most important thing to realize when it comes to sarcasm is that it can take many forms and is a mainstay in several genres and a very useful tool to take any plain story and elevated it to something special? Just remember, a little sarcasm can go a long way (in both directions). SD


 Leave your comments below (Your information is never given or sold to a Third Party. PERIOD!)


SD Tracy Harper Contact Form

Your Name :
Your Email: (required)
Your Message: (required)

0 comments:

Post a Comment