Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Ask SD Tracy Harper #34

Ask SD Tracy Harper #34
All questions are anonymous. If you know who is asking the question and wish to leave a comment, please respect their rights to remain anonymous.  


Q:  SD, I like writing as my imagination takes me.
Normally this works out with very good results. My latest work is a mess and I not sure what to do, any suggestions?

A:  The simplest answer is to start over and the first storyline is the direction you go. After reading your full problem, I think you should try writing each different ending for each of your ideas. Once that is accomplished, dig out where each storyline began and combined everything that’s in-between the middle to the end. Some of these stories will be short and others long. Some of these stories will overlap, but you can still use them as long as you change which character’s eyes you are looking through. And lastly, look seriously at character development of your new people you will need to add to fill in holes in your story and to fully present the new world you now need to expand. I hope this helps. SD

Q:  SD, I am having an argument with a friend I’m writing a book with. He said that I need to use two spaces, but during a writer’s class I had taken not long ago, the instructor told me to use only one space. How Many Spaces after a Period should I use?

A: The answer is ONE. Actually, I had to go back and take a look at this one myself. I’ve used one space, but at times I catch myself using two. The use of two spaces after a period was used (back in the day) because the original space for type set was half the size of a normal letter W or Q or M we use today. This use of two spaces main function was to clearly separate one sentence from the next.  I don’t know what the bet is, but… you won. SD

Q:  SD, When do you know it’s time to let a book go?

A: I’m hoping you were talking about publishing. If this is the case. You will know when it’s time for you to give your manuscript to publishers to see if they are interested or self-publish to the world. I know this may not sound as if it is an answer, but it is. No one knows or will be able to tell you it is time to let this part of you to go out into the world and suffer the slings and arrows of those who will try to shoot down what you have done. Oh, but on the other side of that coin is you work will be well received and bring you the attention and destroy your anonymity. In other words, place you in a good situation where you realize you should’ve been careful what you wish for because you are receiving it. The only person, who can tell you it is time, is you. I hope this helps. SD



SD Tracy Harper Contact Form

Your Name :
Your Email: (required)
Your Message: (required)

0 comments:

Post a Comment