Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Ask SD Tracy Harper #23


Ask SD Tracy Harper #23
All questions are anonymous. If you know who is asking the question and wish to leave a comment, please respect their rights to remain anonymous.


Q:  SD, what’s the best way to write dialogue when there is more than two people talking?


A:  This is absolutely one of those times when practice makes perfect and know from the start that there are going to be a lot of omelets made (It’s an old egg joke about screwing up). In other words, there are going to be a lot of mistakes so don’t get discouraged with your first, second, or fiftieth attempt. Before you even attempt this, you best ask yourself one question and answer yourself truthfully or you will be answering to yourself truthfully. The question is quite simple. Is there no other way for you to have progression or give information that is vital to the major story line in your work? If the answer is no then get out a piece a paper and follow along. Here are some of the tricks that I was shown that helped me a great deal.

Step 1. On the left side of the paper in place of using a person’s name use a number. Depending on the amount of people you wish in this conversation determines how many numbers you need.

Step 2. At the top of the page write down the solution or answer to the conversation. This way in the end, the final words you want said are said. Yes, it’s the old Abbott and Costello joke of who’s on first, and the answer is number 1 saying First Base!

Step 3. This is most important because depending on the personality of your characters will determine how many lines should be given and when. Alpha characters like to take the lead or have the final say or get everyone to agree. The quietest or shyest person may only have one or two small lines of dialog, but they are usually most important. And, in most cases are the one to say the correct answer, but never have the last line.

Step 4. Besides each number draw a box and put in it the number of times that particular character speaks. No two characters shall have the same amount of lines. Each character’s line quota must be different and the one who has the most lines must be two to three lines greater than the next character with the second most lines. Now remember that short and sweet keeps down the confusion and always, always, always try your best to use the words; said #1 or asked #2 or {emotion}whimpered #3, and of course , called #4.

Keep it simple, keep it clean, and keep it small. I hope this helps. SD



Q:  SD, what is the easiest way to write an action scene?

A: Without knowing what kind of action scene you want to describe (and I’m happy you didn’t tell me because it would be my vision and not the one that counts… YOURS!). What I would normally do is sit back with a pad, pencil and a nice cup of tea or hot chocolate in front of me. I would then close my eyes and think about all the crazy things I want to happen (not in any order). once I have a few things I would like to happen, I quickly write them down. I would then take a sip of my warm beverage and repeat the process over and over again until I have all the things I want to happen. I then will start numbering them from what I would like to see happen first and the last thing to occur. Once I have everything in order, I try to condense all of it as small as I can get it. I then would sit it to the side for a couple of days and go over it and smooth out anything that stops or slow down the flow of what is happening. If all is well, then we read everything that leads up to the action and what was the results of the action. There should be a change in the temp before and after (the quiet before the storm and the trying to catch your breath after getting off the roller-coaster). Once you are satisfied with the results, back away from the work for a day or two or let a few others you can trust read over what you had done. I hope this helps. SD

Q:  SD, I have an idea for a book, but I don’t know where to start. What do you suggest?

A:  Surprisingly, it really doesn’t matter. What does matter is that you start. Before you stop reading and look for you answer elsewhere, think first that some of the greatest stories don’t follow some given format. The story comes from you and that is the only place you should look to where it starts, what it is about, and how it will end or be continued. I can give you a perfect example of this. There is a book call Moby dick, by Herman Melville . Do you know how this classic book begins? It starts with the line; Call me Ishmael. If you think that is off the beaten path, how about; It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.  That one is from 1984 by George Orwell. My point is for you to stop worrying how to start or what your first line should be, just enjoy writing and it will come to you or you can follow your heart like George Lucas’ Star Wars. Begin in the middle. I hope this helped SD
 


SD Tracy Harper Contact Form

Your Name :
Your Email: (required)
Your Message: (required)

0 comments:

Post a Comment