Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Ask SD Tracy Harper #22

Ask SD Tracy Harper #22
All questions are anonymous. If you know who is asking the question and wish to leave a comment, please respect their rights to remain anonymous

Q:  SD, what makes you an expert that you can give advice?

A:  First let me say in all honesty, “There Is No Such Thing As An Expert!”, but there is a crap load of people who say they have the secret to become a successful author and would be more than happy to take your money to tell you how to do it. As I had previously written of what I had read by a very direct author/writer on Twitter; “If something is for free and they wants your E-Mail Address then it’s not free, it’s advertisement.” (See Ask SD-18) Oh, you can receive a Doctorate in Literature, but will that make you an author or even better, a writer?
     This is not to say you shouldn’t receive any instructions even if it is self-taught. I myself had taken several writing and writers’ courses in high school, college and while I served in the U.S. Air Force in Europe, Asia, and the United States through several colleges and universities where I was stationed. My point is that you can get the finest degree in all forms of the written word, but are unable to persuade, inspire, or entertain a rock. Your grammar, context, and structure could be flawless, but would only capture the attention of those who live to pick and probe (trolling) to demean, destroy, or feed the ego inside of them that will never be satisfied. Then comes along some person who has an idea one day and decides to write it down and put it in a shoebox (Yes Shameless Plug).
     Soon other ideas come to mind to join the first one. After a while this person wakes up one day with nothing to do, and have an idea that it might be a good idea to look at… their ideas. They publish a book and it has numerous flaws, it even hadn’t followed the standard structure for a book layout, and it even has a goofy cover (but applicable). However, it is the best thing, the funniest thing, and the most talked about thing being purchased all around the world. I’m quite sure somewhere there is an author who had received an award and thanked his college, professors, and their study group. As for me, I’ll rather thank all of you. SD

Q:  SD, what are your thoughts on attributes an author should have? There are so many people who have their listing. I was wondering, what are yours?

A: Oh, why don’t you hit me with an easy one (chuckle). I’m sure I may have to expand on this one in an upcoming Reason & Reality, but here we go. I look at authors (myself included) as those who should have one attribute above most.  At the top of my list is that an author should possess both sides of the same coin within them. Many might say that this attribute is confusing, but actually it’s not.
     If you like writing love stories, epic fantasy novels, or even Sci-Fi action, adventure, drama, and comedies, in order for anyone (including yours truly) the desire to root for the characters to fall in love, save the day, or any particular acceptable ending, something has to suck the reader into that world. There has to be a winner or loser, the good and the bad, failure and success, defeat and triumph, and of course, a bit of sadness to let the joy shine brightly. I call this the 60-20-8-2 rule. Sixty percent of the story is the story. Twenty five percent of the story is character development. Eight percent is the disappointment, anger, and the bad guy/girl is winning. And, the last two percent is the happy ending (even if the good guy/girl loses). Yes, sometimes a sacrifice is a happy ending all of its own. SD

Q:  SD, I had an idea for a story, but as I started gathering background information I found myself no longer seeing the story as I had imagined it. I’ve realized that as I dig deeper into my search to be accurate and authentic the less the story is how I had envisioned and more towards someone else interpretation. Is this a good thing or bad thing?

A: I believe the people at the Guinness Book of World Records should list those four words under the most dangerous used by anyone who creates. “I have (had) an Idea!” There are always two rules of thought in this matter and I’m throwing both of them out. If you want to know they are nonfiction and autobiographical. From what I had read in your full question, you wanted to be authentic in your descriptions and yet remain true to your idea. First you have to ask yourself, how much is too much information? Secondly, how will this accurate information I'd gathered change the course of my story? Third and finally, will this authenticity information enhance or distract from the heart and soul of my story? One other thing that might help in your decision making and help you remain focused. As soon as you feel it is no longer fun, back-off the homework and get back to work having fun writing! SD

No Information, personal or otherwise, is given to a 3rd party EVER!
Would you like to have your question answered by Ask SD? It simple to do.
Leave a comment below or got to the contact page and send an Email of your thoughts directly to SD Tracy Harper.
Don't miss out on the latest news by Subscribing, Following, and Joining me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and this Site directly or sign up through the New Email Notification portal.


SD Tracy Harper Contact Form

Your Name :
Your Email: (required)
Your Message: (required)

0 comments:

Post a Comment