Friday, July 11, 2014

Reasons & Realities 4




     Recently I decided to do a little self-improvement (a must for everyone to try or at least make an attempt), and found a goldmine of helpful self-doubt articles.  How to do this and not do that and what you should do, and of course, The Biggest Mistakes Authors Make.  As I read (mainly the most outrageous ones) I came to the decision  that if I were to follow one tenth of these… suggestions, I would have very little time for creativity due to worrying if I was coloring within the lines.  I’ve never been one to color within the lines.  However, I did learn that I (and quite a few other authors) have this one particular, overwhelming undeniable, indisputable, and undoubtedly overlooked problem. Over Thinking!
     At certain points during my writing process, I have found myself confronted by five of my biggest over thinking problems. They are; purpose, scope, desire, relevance, and conclusion. I’m sure you can add more or remove a few of my habits (some not bad to have) and come up with a list of your own. But, that isn’t the point. It is when one or more of these moments of over thinking change your concept to the point of preventing you from moving forward with your story, or cause you to lose focus on what your story was originally about is where we have a problem. This is especially told true when you make the unacceptable decision to scrap the whole idea altogether. Never do that, just leave it alone for a few days and go at it again with renewed energy. This is how my big five affects me.

Purpose
     At some point (like everyone), I get discouraged and wonder if what I am writing is worth the time and effort for someone to read. Will this storyline effect the readers’ emotions and direct their attention where I wish them to go? Is every aspect of my story believable enough for a reader to consider the possibilities this world, I have constructed could exist or a remarkable event could happen? And, is this entertaining enough for word of mouth to start positive conversations? Actually, even negative conversations are good if it will cause others to see if what they had heard is true. I remember a particular movie called “Attack of the Killer Tomatoes” and it was listed as the worst movie of all times. I, like millions and billions of others had sat down and watched this movie. It was both horrible and yet entertaining. Just add some beer, a few good friends, and a contest of the best one-liners, and you have the makings of a fun time. If you didn’t know, infamous has a place at the table right next to famous. And most importantly, is this story I am giving a portion of my life to true to what I had envisioned when I had started?

Scope
     This is clearly the most wicked game of Mine Sweeper that has ever existed and the playing field is in your hands. How wide should this world be? Is it too small? Is there enough information to immerse the reader? Is the characters fully developed? Have something important has been cut out during the final read through and edit? Is it too large. Will the reader have trouble following too many characters, milestone events or overall storyline? Have it fallen into the TMI (too much information) zone? TMI can turn off a reader just as quick as Too Little Information (TLI). i.e.: When did Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley fully hooked up? There may have been much character development with Mr. Potter, but it was clearly TLI with the future Mrs. Potter. It’s understandable why the author and many others would’ve liked to have seen the scope narrowed where the Harry and Hermione characters’ relationship were more than just good friends. Sorry Ron.  Clearly, scope can be both important and direction changing.

Desire
     This particular bit of sensory overload is a double edge sword. Oh, how I wish I could keep the heat on constantly, but alas, there is a problem of the reader getting sedated, anesthetized, emotionally drained, intellectually numbed, shock value quickly diminishing, bored with the concept, or will clearly reject one or more story lines as being repetitive. As momma always said; “Too much of a good things isn’t always good, and too little is just as bad.”  On the other edge of the same blade is persistence, or as some call it passion.
     Sometimes the excitement of starting a new project begins to wane as the effort to construct what you had imagined becomes overwhelming or tiresome.  It is practically euphoric when inspiration slaps you on your butt and tells you “Wheels up and move out!”  However, after the days, months, and even years pass (unlike the perfect relationship), you realize the honeymoon is over.  There are three questions you need to ask yourself (unlike the perfect relationship).  Can you get the spark back?  Is the memory of that euphoric moment still within you?  Is the passion to see this through to the end just as important to you as it was in the beginning? Is this perfect relationship no longer perfect?  I personally hope that it is, because you may be sitting on the next best thing the world has been waiting for.

Relevance
     Believe it or not, relevance isn’t just about a clear and indisputable logical view. Relevance for me is my attempt of acceptance. WHAT! Yes. And, if you were to think about it in this way you would know what I mean. Relevance in writing a story is a delicate personal connection between the author and reader. You want people to take ownership of your story and feel some sort of heart felt association or become emotionally tied to one or more of your characters or the story as a whole. How is this possible, through relevance? When you watch your favorite TV show, highly anticipated movie, and the latest title from your favorite author, you find the content relevant to you on a personal level. This personal level maybe to laugh, to cry, to feel fear, or an outbreak love lived, love lost, or love hoped for. Relevance on a much deeper level can also be life changing or awe aspiring. All authors wish to write something that is significant (still chasing the dream), and all of us are waiting for that special memorable moment to arrive.

Conclusion
     This is one habit that (I am happy to say) I am but a small grain of sand in the ocean along with many others. You can wrap up the other four examples of over thinking into a little ball and this planet size bolder will easily crush it to dust that will be impossible to see under a microscope. I hate to slightly plagiarize from William Shakespeare’s Hamlet (not really). To end or to sequel, that is the question? Whether it is wise or profitable to suffer poor sales and the ridicule of newly realized disappointment, or to continue to please the few who may cause a foundation to grow with a second installment with pen to pad? (This is a shameless plug alert!) As I had said in previous articles and Ask SD, and I will say it once more. Many have started this race, but very few ever make it to the finish line. These five little over thinking inhibitors are just the tip of the iceberg Mr., Ms. And Mrs. Titanic, so be aware and sail on to that beautiful sunset and don’t sweat the small stuff. And, you can trust me on this one. It feels like you are walking through a waterfall on a tropical island with someone holding out an umbrella drink with a bright smile when you write those final two words. The End.  SD Tracy Harper

 Leave your comments below (Your information is never given out. PERIOD!)



SD Tracy Harper Contact Form

Your Name :
Your Email: (required)
Your Message: (required)

0 comments:

Post a Comment