Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Ask SD Tracy Harper #16

Ask SD Tracy Harper #16
All questions are anonymous. If you know who is asking the question and wish to leave a comment, please respect their rights to remain anonymous.
Q: SD, Why is the simple stories always the hardest to write?


A: I hope you don't mind my simple answer (Get it? Simple answer. Oh, alright. Bad joke.). From my experience, the telling of something without embellishment that can instantly cause a regression to every early (or first) experience that are the most meaningful to you. Take for instance, something sweet. I’m not talking about sugar in your morning cereal or oatmeal or on that tangy grapefruit. What I’m talking about is your first ice cream cone, your first confectionery at a theater or an amusement park or alike. And even, the first experience that had caused you so much anxiety that it is engraved on your most precious memories forever!  Yes, I'm talking about the first time you had held hands with the person who had captured your heart and imagination. Let me not forget the first time you had ever had that singular fantasy made reality, the first kiss. Now how do you describe that monumental moment in your life? Isn't holding someone's hand or a kiss shared are things that are at the bottom of the list on moments of great complexities. And yet, the emotion tied to those two simple examples would cause the greatest of poets and historians of the written word to have piles crumpled up paper at their feet, and books of all shapes and sizes piled up high. The only answer to your question that I can give is to write from the heart, welcome the butterflies return to your stomach, keep a dry towel nearby to wipe your hands, and enjoy the absurdity of the simplicity that has caused all of us to smile like the fools that we are. SD

Q: SD, What do you do to get yourself prepared to write?

A: Now that is an open ended question if ever I heard one. I’m guessing you are asking about my writing process and not just having a bowl of gummy bears sitting next to my keyboard and some coffee, tea, or an eye popping large mug of hot chocolate with marshmallows with a large sticker on the side that say New York Giants. (Hey! Grew up in New Jersey and the Jets haven’t had a winner since Broadway Joe Namath.) My writing process actually starts with my imagination. You can call it the preparation before I prepare myself to write. I had mentioned in earlier Ask SD and Wednesday Tea and Friday Caffeine (now called Reality & Reason. Shameless Plug again, Yeah!)  The articles about my shoebox of story line so if I can't come up with something then I can pull out a kick starter from the box. once I have what lives between my left and right ear primed and ready to go, I place things around me that I can keep going without only the most important of breaks (Daughter, Son, and the privy-potty break). Beverage, snacks (healthy or otherwise-trying very hard to back away from the otherwise), and a pad and pin or pencil. The good old pad and pencil is in case of another idea that doesn't fit with what I am currently writing, but is something that I would really like to add somewhere else in the story. Just call it one of those bang and whistle things that come up from time to time that will cause most readers to shake their head, laugh out loud, or grab for a tissue or handkerchief. Hey, inspiration is inspiration and the good ones should be written down while they are fresh. Lastly there is a cool down. Just like exercise (which we all need to do more of), there is a warm up (preparation), the act (writing), and the cool down (light scanning over your work), your program (if available) grammar check, and gathering up your note for the Shoebox, trash to throw away, and cutting off all devises (electric bill can be a pain in the... you know). I hope this answers your question. SD

Q: SD, My husband says I don't have the (((talent))) to become a writer and yet my family, friends, and even co-workers say I have talent. What can I do to change my husband’s thoughts about me being a writer? Also, I have won a few awards for my work.

A: I am not a marriage counselor so don't take my word as if it is coming from up high. From what you have described (Question cut down to size), there is nothing you can do to change his mind. Your husband loves you and is selfish. He wants to spend every moment he can with you and there is nothing you can do about it. You can place a Pulitzer on your mantel and all he will see is your time with him being taken away. Even the President of the United States has a date night with his wife. You might want to look into that as well. But, what I can say without any hesitation, your marriage is your marriage and it is between the two of you. You might want to leave the ones who have an opinion (for your benefit, of course) on the other side of the door. There is an old saying (I exploit it in my writing at every chance). When it comes to two people, there are always three truths. Each of their truths they see and the actual truth that neither one wish to admit. Congratulation on your awards and at the first opportunity where you receive one in public, don't forget to give your husband all the credit for being the one and only person who forced you to work harder than even you had believed was possible. Use words like inspiration, and love of your life will do wonders. Just remember, like high school exclusion brings unhappiness, but inclusion gives support. Talk to your hubby about how you feel, he may not like it, but we men are simple creatures and will even get jealous over trivial things (Whither we will admit it or not). But, to be fair to the guy. If he didn't care and let you do whatever you want, would you still feel the same way? We would all like to have our cake and eat it too, but would settle for sharing it with the person we asked to share the rest of our lives with. SD.


No Information, personal or otherwise, is given to a 3rd party EVER!
Would you like to have your question answered by Ask SD? It simple to do.
Leave a comment below or got to the contact page and send an Email of your thoughts directly to SD Tracy Harper.
Don't miss out on the latest news by Subscribing, Following, and Joining me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and this Site directly or sign up through the New Email Notification portal.



SD Tracy Harper Contact Form

Your Name :
Your Email: (required)
Your Message: (required)

0 comments:

Post a Comment