Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Ask SD Tracy Harper #18

Ask SD Tracy Harper #18
All questions are anonymous. If you know who is asking the question and wish to leave a comment, please respect their rights to remain anonymous.


Q:  SD,  Recently I’ve been submitting my manuscript to several publishing companies. I’ve received  a rejection letter each time. Should I take this as a hint that I’m not a good writer?

A:  No!  Next question.
     There is a long list of, noted, highly respected, famous, infamous, and (yes) wealthy authors who manuscripts were rejected… A LOT! There are numerous books, articles, and suggestions on line that are at your disposal to help you get published. There is also independent publishing. (Warning shameless plug!) I’ve written previously on writing for yourself or writing for others. If all you wish to do is get published, send out a few query letters to literary agents and publishers asking them what types of books they are interested in. Once you have that information, see if they would accept prospectus story-lines (copyright first). If they like your idea(s), then work a deal with them (in writing through a contract) and get to work. However, if you strongly wish your current manuscript to be accepted, I would suggest you look up agents and publishers who specialize in the same genre as your work. See what their submittals' requirements are, and keep trying. It only takes one acceptance letter to wash away the bad taste the others had left to your ego. I truly hope this has helped. SD

Q:  SD, I am upset with one of my favorite authors. His last book was (Better Left Unsaid) not good. I’ve waited for over a year for this book to come out and (Not Going There Either) I’m disappointed. Should I write him and tell him (Not a Happy Place) that I’m not pleased with this effort?

A: Authors are not perfect and in some cases, lives in a bubble. There must have been a reason why you had chosen this author to be your favorite. To make this short and hopefully not place me on your bad side, my answer is yes.  Authors like hearing the good, the bad, and what you have to say. I must stress that sugar gather more flies then vinegar. I would strongly suggest that you let your favorite author know what had caused you great joy in his previous books and what had disappointed you in this one. you may be pleasantly surprised with their response.  Just remember, authors (even favorite ones) are unable to please everyone equally and a true fan sticks no matter what. Think of the New Orleans’ Saints football team. At one time, their fans started arriving with paper bags on their heads because they were so bad. My point is, they still went to the games to support their team. I hope I’ve helped. SD

Q:  SD,  I downloaded a free (Let’s Just Say) how to and now I’m getting these advertisements filling up my E-Mail box. Have you ever had this problem?

A:  I came very close in doing the same thing, but was saved by another author through Twitter. When I read his (tweet) message, I couldn’t help but laugh like the fool I am. He wrote (and I’m plagiarizing this one folks); If it is free, then it’s free. If you have to give your e-mail account than its advertisement. So, now whenever I see something that is free (even if I am very interested) I remember his words and laugh. If it’s free, than it’s free. Look for the Opt-Out and hope for the best. I’m sure they don’t want their name, product, or creditability dragged through the mud. This is the multimedia age after all. I hope this helped. SD


No Information, personal or otherwise, is given to a 3rd party EVER!
Would you like to have your question answered by Ask SD? It simple to do.
Leave a comment below or got to the contact page and send an Email of your thoughts directly to SD Tracy Harper.
Don't miss out on the latest news by Subscribing, Following, and Joining me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and this Site directly or sign up through the New Email Notification portal.



SD Tracy Harper Contact Form

Your Name :
Your Email: (required)
Your Message: (required)

0 comments:

Post a Comment