Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Ask SD Tracy Harper #39


Ask SD Tracy Harper #39
All questions are anonymous. If you know who is asking the question and wish to leave a comment, please respect their rights to remain anonymous.

Q:  SD, I have a friend who constantly tells me I’m not a good writer and to give up on writing a novel. They had gone as far as to try and convince our friends that they should tell me the same thing. All of them except the one friend likes my stories and had even convinced me to submit them in contest. Actually, I had won quite a few. Recently I noticed a letter from a publisher with my friend name on it, what should I do? Pissed! (More Attached.)

A:  I’ve never been the kind of guy who would get between two ladies… misunderstandings. However, my daughter got me into watching Mixed Martial Arts contest (or MMA for short). The raining woman’s champion is a vicious little pretty young lady called Ronda Rousey. One thing I can honestly say about the Woman’s Champion, she doesn’t bite her tongue. I’m not saying you should get in your friends face with hostile intent, but you can give her a free copy of your new novel and thank her for all her encouragement. Before she can ask you what encouragement, just ask her how did she know that you always had a habit of doing the opposite of what you are told, and walk away. The best revenge isn’t accomplished with anger, but with a smile. I hope this helps. SD

Q:  SD, I keep losing my direction and end up writing something way off the main story line I had listed. Do you have any suggestions to help me stay on track?

A:  I do, but what fun is doing that. I’ve found myself doing the same thing when an idea comes to mind and fill my thoughts with the most marvelous story imaginable. Unfortunately, just like your problem, it’s either far off course or has absolutely nothing to do with the story or its outcome. For the most part, these are called threads or loose ends. They are mostly harmless unless they are more interesting than the overall storyline (which in some cases they are). The question you need to ask yourself when these MOMENTS happen is if what you have written can be concluded quickly, cut out completely, or is made the new overall storyline. Let’s not forget that wonderful word Spinoff. No matter what you choose to do, never stop your ideas from coming out to say hello. This is one habit you should never tamper with. You might fix something that isn’t broken. I hope this helps.

Q:  SD, I had done what you had suggested about hiring and editor, but my manuscript came back different than what I had imagined it. Am I doing something wrong? (More Attached.)

A:  You will get no disclaimers from me on this subject nor will you play the pass the blame game with me as well. Finding the right editor for you isn’t easy and it isn’t fun. Finding the right editor for you takes as much effort as you had spent creating your manuscript. Finding the right editor is finding the right partnership for you and not you finding the right hired gun to win a shootout. You hadn’t mentioned about the communications you had with the editor or you informing or clarifying your story or expectations. If they are willing to take you on as a customer, you as the person who agreed to entrust a part of yourself to them, should openly discuss what you like about their work and where they had fallen short. As it is with every writer, it takes time and effort to hone your skills to do the best job you can do and then strive to become even better. This is also true for your editor. It will take time and effort for them to understand your way of thinking and allow them to help you present the best part of you to the world. Now if they are not willing to work with you, don’t stop your search for the right editor for you, and comment on their work appropriately. I hope this helps. SD



SD Tracy Harper Contact Form

Your Name :
Your Email: (required)
Your Message: (required)

0 comments:

Post a Comment