Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Ask SD Tracy Harper #31


Ask SD Tracy Harper #31
All questions are anonymous. If you know who is asking the question and wish to leave a comment, please respect their rights to remain anonymous.  


Q:  SD, I had tried your suggestion about character listing and it was a disaster.
I had to stop myself from writing an entire book about everything that is, was, and will be concerning a single character and hadn’t started writing the first chapter. How much information should I write for each character and how much is too much?

A: I am both flattered and shock to read that you think this is a disaster. If you have nearly written an entire book on this one character, that tells me you have a serious investment that this one particular character has a full and rich background so your readers can see their importance in your story. As for the other characters (hoping this first one is the main character), their part to play in your story should have enough background to understand the reason for them, the purpose for them, and where they have importance to the main character. I wish I could take credit (and blame) for the amount of material you have to use for your manuscript, but I cannot. I do hope you will appreciate all that you have inside that had come from you and will enrich your work to be recognized as something special. I only see good things from work driven by your heart. SD

Q:  SD, Is it easier to do an outline of your story first or know where it begins and where it ends and hope for the best for what’s in the middle?

A:  knowing how it ends and how it will begin has some importance. Doing and outline of your story has some importance. I don’t see why you can’t do a little bit of both. Compose the begging and the end, then make the roadmap from the starting line to the end of the race. This may even help you jump to different milestone moments in your story and then move backwards and forwards to make adjustments to enhance or play down pivotal events to sharpen the timing, emotion, and importance. There is no singular way to write. What is most important is that you write. I hope this helps. SD

Q:  SD, Is it hard for you to start some days, but easier on others?

A:  Yes. Although, my ability to write grows with each effort, having something to say is a matter entirely different. I’ve mentioned my box trick (what would this Ask SD be without one of my shameless plugs). However, even with this helpful tip, some days it’s hard to get that RIGHT side of the brain in gear. Some days, more than others, are meant to just give it a break and step away and kiss the dog than scratch that loved one behind her ear. Hey, don’t knock it if you haven’t tried it. Just make sure you don’t blame me nine months later. Sometimes, in order to move forward you have to take a few steps back. And sometimes, to work at your best, you have to surrender when at your worst. Take a break and go for a walk. I’m sure both sides of your brain will enjoy the respite. SD



SD Tracy Harper Contact Form

Your Name :
Your Email: (required)
Your Message: (required)

0 comments:

Post a Comment