Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Ask SD Tracy Harper #30

Ask SD Tracy Harper #30
All questions are anonymous. If you know who is asking the question and wish to leave a comment, please respect their rights to remain anonymous


Q:  SD, Have you ever written something that had disturbed you so much that it’s hard for you to read it again?

A: Yes, and it’s some of my best work. There are numerous times when I stumble upon a thought that adds so much gravity to a character or stress a particular situation in such a way that I feel uncomfortable. Oh, but that isn’t the ultimate test of the strength of the emotional connection I wish to grab hold of whomever is reading my work. When I get a call from my test readers (family and select friends) after they had read the passage and have to take a moment to get their words just right, my work is done. Now, let me make myself perfectly clear. I’m not talking about shock value, but a passage you can see clearly in your imagination and just can’t let go. Experiences in writing with such clarity that both author and reader share in the same emotion of this kind is rare, all consuming, and transcending. If you had written something that touches a reader in the same manner as you, congratulation. You have done something special. I hope this helps. SD

Q:  SD, How important is experience when writing?

A: I don’t know how to answer your question clearly due to the amount of information you had sent. There are two basic types of experiences. There are personal experiences and other peoples’ experiences. What I can say from what I believe you are getting at is none and what you have inside. I know that is not the answer you may be looking for, but let me put it to you this way. I can write a Sci-Fi story, but I’ve never been in outer space and I’m far from being an astronaut. I can write a love story with people who lives are far from my own, but unless someone informs me that I have some royalty in by background I’m a duck in the desert. My point is, you can get an understanding about practically anything by reading, through film, and on the internet, but the experience is a matter altogether different. Now let’s say that you wish to write a book and somewhere in the story, a boy kisses a girl and it is the first time for both of them. Unless you’ve never had the experience of that singular emotionally embarrassing and stressful moment, you couldn’t write it in such a way that the reader will feel as if they were one of those characters and emotionally attach themselves to your story. However, if you are talking about becoming an experience writer, then all you have to do is write, and do it from your heart. I hope this helps. SD

Q:  SD, A close friend of mine had talked me into writing a book together. She likes to stop every so often to make grammatical corrections where I like to get everything down before I forget my ideas. Their stop and start attitude is affecting my creativity and is causing our project to take forever to do a single chapter. Do you have any suggestions?

A: it sounds to me as if you are having relationship troubles. I’m not kidding. Writing is a solitary activity for a reason. There is usually one person, one story, and one outcome. Like a three legged chair, when that formula is tampered with, one or more of those three things go out of balance. Also, like a three legged chair, it will take time and several adjustments in order to stabilize the balance once more. As a suggestion, sit down and begin an open and honest dialogue. Look more towards the strengths that are different that each of you brings to the table. This will set boundaries and minimize the things that can be controlled. If they are, great with grammar, then let them drive. If your greatest asset is coming up with ideas, then dream your dream. For all the things the two of you have that are equal, then take turns and add your support and understanding. The main thing is coming up with a process that each of you will have equal say, give equal support, and move your efforts forward quickly. There will be plenty of time during the second, third, and especially the fourth draft. Talk, outline, coordinate, and enjoy having someone you can bounce your idea off of and they you. I hope this helps. SD


SD Tracy Harper Contact Form

Your Name :
Your Email: (required)
Your Message: (required)

0 comments:

Post a Comment