Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Ask SD Tracy Harper #58

Ask SD Tracy Harper #58
All questions are
anonymous. If you know who is asking the question and wish to leave a comment, please respect their rights to remain anonymous.

Q:  SD, Is it true that most authors are avid readers?

A:  Yes, it’s true. I’m also placed in this category. I never thought about writing. I was just happy with reading all the wonderful stories that peaked my interest. If anything, it was my high school counselors who are most responsible for this. I was terrible with writing and an even worst reader (unless it was technical or mathematical). Both these ladies (yes, two councilors because of the vast difference between my math and science scores compared to my reading and writing scores) gave me reading assignments that had me wondering if some recreational drinking were involved. They had me reading comic books, Sci-Fi, Epic Fantasy, Comedic, and even a few classic novels. With me working a part time job as a bus boy & dishwasher at an Italian restaurant, a Professional DJ, guitar lessons, and playing community basketball, TV was never a significant activity in my life, but I killed a few brain cells with shows like Benny Hill, Dr. Who, and cartoons. Once reading was introduced into this mix, it was as if my world had become small next to the vast imagination that lay dormant between my ears. I clearly remember the day when the writing bug bit me. I was arguing with my councilors about the Stygian Witches not knowing the future, but was all knowing and were actually manipulating the future through fear. The following week I handed in a 35 thousand word novelette about how a lie can turn into a rumor and then turned into the truth. Although my skills as a writer were poor, I had subconsciously learned the art of storytelling (and expressing myself on paper). Oh, but my effort had me embarrassed as all out hell as teachers were asking me about when was the second installment was going to be finished. Think of it this way, the best storytellers learn the art from other storytellers who learned from them. I hope this helps. SD

Q:  SD, Why is it important to stay away from clichés?

A: By definition (through google.com/search), a cliché a phrase or opinion that is overused and betrays a lack of original thought. This should be enough to stand clear of using clichés, but they still slip in from time to time (cliché). What’s important to understand is that clichés aren’t terrible or totally unacceptable. The simplest reason to lessen the amount of clichés in your work is the fact that not everyone will understand the thought or idea you’re trying to convey. Think of a cliché’s as metaphors that will take away from the flow of your storytelling because of the time it will take your reader to decipher the meeting. If you wish to travel down this road (cliché) a bit further, than consider that there are enough language barriers going from one state to another (North America) or regents, townships, and countries than to add an additional barrier of misunderstanding. The most important thing to remember is that there are truly no set rules to storytelling, except to capture the readers’ attention, imagination, and heart in the same manner you were captured to tell your story. I hope this helps. SD

Q:  SD, What is the best way to describe clothing?

A: The short answer is to describe them the best way you can. The long version is to first ask yourself how the necessary clothing description is to move your story forward. The second question is what scene or event is your characters' clothing is important. In other words, if it’s a formal setting than a tuxedo and a non-descript gown should do just fine. However, if you are describing a wedding dress and the nice and naughty things that are under them, then you might want to have someone knowledgeable give you a hand, or prepare to place an Adult Content sticker on your books cover for certain countries. What is most important with describing clothing (my disclaimer) is the emotion the description adds to your story telling. I.e.;/

     As I stood at the bottom of the stairs for her grand entrance, I felt like a reject from the top of a wedding cake. I thought an ordinary dark suit would do, but someone had to remind me this was a formal affair and that caused for nothing less than a monkey suit. At lease I got one bit of advice that made sense and I called her up to find out what color my bow tie should be. I was fortunate she had said white, and that the rental place only had vest and no cummerbund in white. I must admit I was self-conscious about what I was wearing until I saw myself… I looked good. When I heard the sound of someone coming down… She was dressed in a long white gown with no embellishment and white gloves that nearly covered her arms. Her hair was up with pieces of little white flowers that was held together with a string of pearls. It seemed if everything around her floated as did the thin silk lace wrap across her shoulders that only added to the perfect picture. Oh, but it was her smile that bloomed on her face when our eyes met that changed everything between the two of us. Of all times for my best friend to go from pigtails, baseball jerseys, and jeans to… Everything around, though, and inside of me had stopped the moment she took my hand in hers right before she kissed me and said, “I’m sorry I’m late. Are you ready to go?” 

I hope this helps. SD



SD Tracy Harper Contact Form

Your Name :
Your Email: (required)
Your Message: (required)

0 comments:

Post a Comment