Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Ask SD Tracy Harper #21

Ask SD Tracy Harper #21
All questions are anonymous. If you know who is asking the question and wish to leave a comment, please respect their rights to remain anonymous.

Q:  SD, I was trying to help my husband (Inspiring Author)
through an example that he is a good writer by writing the worst story I could possibly think of and sending it into the publisher who wrote him a terrible rejection letter. My question is how do I tell my husband my book was accepted?

A: Sometimes even a bad thing can have good results. The first and only answer that comes to mind is to just tell him. You are not going to be able to hide it from him when family and friends start calling to congratulate you on getting published. Besides, he may get suspicious when you have to make public appearances, do Blog interviews, and show up for highly publicized book signings. The only other suggestions I can think to say is to tell him the reason why you wrote the book in the first place and if it becomes a hit, then the two of you can write one together before he goes off to do his solo thing again. Man, I hope this helps and once again congratulations. SD

Q:  SD, I’ve started writing a Mystery/Comedy nearly two months ago. Things were going great, but now I’ve run out of ideas. Do you have any suggestions?

A:  First let me congratulate you on taking that important step through the door of the crazies (mental if you’re a Brit) with so many of us writers, authors, and the inspired. Your problem isn’t uncommon and can be frustrating if you put too much pressure on yourself. (Shameless Plug) I’ve previously written things on writers’ block and the magic box. To keep this short and to the point, Step away from your project for a few days. Do something completely unrelated to your project. Read or see something cinematic that is completely unrelated to your project (plagiarism Warning). But, most importantly! Make yourself a Magic Box.
     A magic box is a small container (shoe box) that you can place ideas. When your inspiration returns (and it will with a vengeance) be prepare for the typhoon that’s going to hit you. Just imagine waking up one day and looking at your table and it’s covered with all your favorite foods. Yippee! The question is what do you eat first? With a magic box you can taste each just enough to fix a perfect memory of where it should be on your menu after you had tried them all. Write down just enough information to recall your idea on small scraps of paper and place them into the magic box. Once you are done, take another little break to insure you didn’t overlook a morsel or two, and then get started for the home stretch on your project. I'm looking forward to reading your sample chapters. So far it sounds like a fun ride. SD

Q:  SD, What is the most inspiring thing you have read lately?

A:  Wow! I’m constantly reading, writing, and pulling out my hair finishing up on my final edit (Hidden Shameless Plug) on my next Self-Publish book. But, what I have seen by someone, and it came from someone else, was a very interesting line. It said; "Using one person’s idea is plagiarism, but using the ideas from many is research." As you can see, something like this stuck and I thank the person who thought of that one. No matter how true that statement is, give credit where credit is due (even if it is yourself) and watch closely for plagiarism even if it’s your own words. That’s a subject for another time. Thanks for the question. SD


No Information, personal or otherwise, is given to a 3rd party EVER!
Would you like to have your question answered by Ask SD? It simple to do.
Leave a comment below or got to the contact page and send an Email of your thoughts directly to SD Tracy Harper.
Don't miss out on the latest news by Subscribing, Following, and Joining me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and this Site directly or sign up through the New Email Notification portal.



SD Tracy Harper Contact Form

Your Name :
Your Email: (required)
Your Message: (required)

0 comments:

Post a Comment